Thursday, February 12, 2009

God must have a sense of humor

You know how you sit and make a "plan", a well thought out schedule of events and then something changes your entire week around and you just have to sit back and let go of the steering wheel and see where you land- this has been my week:) I have to laugh because no matter how many times I learn-over and over again- that I am not in control, I never seem to really "get it" I still plan my days & week and then when something happens that changes that "plan" I get such a great reminder of how little I am in control and how God truly loves me enough to keep taking the steering wheel and guiding me down a different path, whether I like it or not....Let me explain..

This week I was "supposed" to go everyday to the doctor for some tests and shots to check and make sure my thyroid cancer had not come back. I had the entire week planned out accordingly. I was really looking forward to Friday night (a Valentine Date with my hubby) and Saturday an entire day devoted to celebrating Valentine's with my girls. You see last year I was having radiation therapy during Valentine's Day and both my girls were in KY. We have always loved Valentine's and made it a big production. I usually make a wonderful meal and the girls and Dad make a yummy chocolate dessert and then we sit in the dining room and have a lovely meal together. Well that all changed when I went to the doctor on Tuesday (the 2nd day of shots) and I wanted to clarify some information with Nuclear medicine. I went down to the Nuclear medicine department to find out what time I had to be there on Friday and they proceeded to tell me the things I needed to prepare to do for my body scan on Friday- the nuclear medicine I was supposed to take on Wed. was only 4 mcui and last year I had 100 mcui and had to be in the hospital for 2 days then isolation for 1 1/2 weeks. So I had been told this time I would not have all of these precautions since the radiation was minimal. Well-----the guys at Nuclear Medicine proceeded to tell me that I needed to be in isolation again (not in the hospital and not for as long) and that is was dangerous to be around my kids---so within an hour, my whole week changed. I immediately called my parents (thank you Mom & Dad for always being available!) and take Isabella to them and then change the rest of plans for the week so that I could stay in my office away from people. WHEW! it was a whirlwind. But- it has all worked out fine. and now I have time to update my blog. Although- my keyboard, mouse, telephone & TV remote are covered with plastic wrap :) and any papers I touch- I have to wear gloves....Valentine's Day will be celebrated- just late again this year :) Mom & Dad, I hope you enjoy my precious baby and give her lots of hugs & kisses from her Mommy.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh, Teresa. What a bummer! How long do you need to stay in isolation and away from the girls? I'm praying all your tests are the best news and that you find the isolation to be a time of rest and recharging! I know in reality I probably wouldn't like the isolation either, but in theory it sounds kind of nice for a day or two:) Call if you need anything or just want someone to chat with to while away the hours! We'll miss you today but are saving Isabella's valentines for when she returns.
Love yas!

Tisra said...

Praying!!!! I had no idea what you went through last year, but I I trust that God will work out the details. You have my prayers for health, comfort, and peace (and that a belated Valentine's celebration will be *better* than you could have hoped!)

Tisra
(from the Cracker Barrel gang)
waiting for NOC on Dorothy in India
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com
www.tisrafadelyoriginals.etsy.com

A place where we can share life with our friends and family.